Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, is not only famous for its beautiful beaches and stunning scenery, but also for its delicious cuisine. From hearty meat dishes to fresh seafood and sweet pastries, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. In this post, we’ll explore some of the most popular and delicious foods you can find in Sunny Beach and throughout Bulgaria.
Traditional Bulgarian Dishes
Bulgarian cuisine is a blend of Balkan, Mediterranean, and Turkish influences, with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and bold flavors. Some popular traditional dishes to try include:
- Banitsa: a flaky pastry filled with cheese, eggs, and sometimes spinach or meat
- Shopska salad: a refreshing mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, and feta cheese
- Kavarma: a hearty meat stew with vegetables and spices
- Sarmi: stuffed grape leaves or cabbage rolls filled with rice, meat, and herbs
- Moussaka: a layered dish with potatoes, eggplant, and ground meat, topped with a creamy sauce
As a coastal town, Sunny Beach is also known for its fresh and delicious seafood. Some popular dishes to try include:
- Grilled fish: sea bass, bream, and mackerel are all popular choices
- Black Sea mussels: these shellfish are a local delicacy and can be cooked in a variety of ways, such as steamed or in a tomato-based sauce
- Shkembe chorba (not a seafood but worth mentioning) : a hearty tripe soup with paprika, garlic, and vinegar, often enjoyed as a hangover cure.
No meal is complete without a sweet treat, and Bulgarian cuisine has plenty of delicious options to choose from. Some popular desserts to try include:
- Baklava: a sweet pastry made with layers of phyllo dough, nuts, and syrup
- Kadaif: a similar pastry to baklava, but with a more shredded texture
- Yogurt: Bulgaria is famous for its thick and creamy yogurt, often enjoyed with honey or fruit on top
- Tulumbi: deep-fried dough soaked in syrup, often served with ice cream or whipped cream
Sunny Beach and Bulgaria in general offer a rich culinary experience with plenty of delicious dishes to try. From traditional Bulgarian cuisine to fresh seafood and sweet desserts, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to explore the local markets and restaurants to fully experience the delicious delights of Bulgarian cuisine.